Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Flash: Pilot Review


            The moment we were all waiting for finally arrived! The Flash premiered last night on the CW and it was well worth the wait. Consisting of a good plot, a good cast and awesome graphics, the debut of The Flash promises a bright future for the "Arrowverse". The fact is, the pilot episode exceeded all of the expectations and provided an entertaining episode that kept comic fans, Arrow fans, and new fans glued to the TV.

            The show starts with a quick glimpse into who Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) is. We’re taken back in time where Barry’s mother is murdered by a strange yellow and red mass, and how his father is accused of the crime. In present day, Barry is working for the Central City Police CSI, alongside his adoptive father, Detective Joe West (Jesse L. Martin). His best friend and kind of sister (and the love of his life) Iris West (Candice Patton) whisks him away from work to go to S.T.A.R. Labs (as seen in Arrow) so that he can witness Dr. Harrison Wells turn on a particle accelerator. After failing to stop a thief, Barry heads back to his lab and sees through the window how the particle accelerator is affected by the ongoing storm and explodes, creating the lightning bolt that strikes him. Nine months later, Barry wakes up in what’s left of S.T.A.R. Labs and finds out he’s been in a coma after being struck by lightning. After leaving the lab to reunite with his family, he discovers that the lightning gave him much more than abs.

         We later discover Barry isn't the only one affected by the particle accelerator explosion (GASP!). Among other meta-humans, appears this week's villian, Clyde Mardon, who got weather controlling powers and uses them to rob banks (yes, very cliché). After having a couple of existential crises about his powers and potencial dangers of other meta-humans, Barry (with the help of Oliver) realizes that he needs to become a hero in order to help Central City. If you ask me, it was pretty clear that Barry showed hero instincts throughout the episode, he only needed a little push and assurance.

           Inspired and decided, Barry suits up, with the help of S.T.A.R. labs, in order to stop Clyde Mardon. When Mardon creates a tornado that could destroy Central City, Barry has to run against it  to try to stop it. Through some failed attempts and determination, Barry clocks overdrive, faster than they ever thought he could go and unravels the tornado. He has a quick moment with Mardon, where they exchange the typical "I didn't know there were other like me..." and "I'm NOT like you.". Mardon points the gun at Barry, and Detective West shoots him before he could pull the trigger.

           After his victory, Barry goes to visit his father at the prison to assure him he knows he's innocent. The moment is quite sweet, to be honest. Barry tells him he's finding his way forward, and promises he's finally closing in on what or who killed his mother.

           The episode ends with Dr. Wells entering a secret room within S.T.A.R. Labs, where he stand off his wheelchair and walks over to a newspaper hologram which appears to be from the future. The newspaper hologram's headline is about Flash's disappearance in 2024. There is also a glimpse of a headline about a Wayne Enterprises/Queen Consolidated merger.

-Talia-

            I have to confess… I might have seen the episode when it leaked about two months ago. Nonetheless, I had absolutely no problem watching it again. At first, a lot of people were scared that Grant Gustin was way too young to be playing Barry, but I feel it’s safe to say he was the perfect choice. He was able to embody perfectly the smart, cheeky nerd that is Barry Allen, all while bringing a breath of fresh air into the character. As for the show, I loved the cast, I loved the dynamics between Barry and Iris; Barry and Joe West; Barry and his S.T.A.R. Labs caretakers… basically anything with Barry. The graphics in the show were also really good, and it’s kind of a relief that that part of it won’t suck. Nothing worse than a show that requires lots of graphics to have terrible graphics (*cough* Once Upon a Time *cough*). I loved all of the Easter eggs I was able to catch, and I’m sure comic fans are happy about those, and the faithfulness of the story.

            The only thing that comes to mind right now that I didn’t like was the villain. Arrow, the show’s counterpart,  has a history of good plot but crappy villains. Hopefully, the show improves on this. Another concern for me was Barry himself. I was scared that I wasn’t going to like Barry because the Flash I grew up with was Wally  West (Justice League was my childhood. I was very traumatized when I found out there was more than one Green Lantern and that they weren’t black) and the only knowledge I had of Barry was what I had seen in Young Justice (R.I.P.) and Flashpoint Paradox.

            In the end, Barry proved himself to me and to all of the fans. I’m very excited for what’s to come (especially the Arrow crossover episodes) and I hope the spark the show has doesn’t die.

Talia’s score: 8.5!!!!

P.S.


            I am VERY curious as to how Grodd is going to fit into this, I really am. (Marvel pulled off Rocket Raccoon, so, anything is possible).

-Isabel-

        I have really high hopes for The Flash series! The pilot definitely delivered a good opening, for me, and with the success of Arrow, I'm sure Flash is going to live up to the standards... maybe even surpass them? Who knows.

         I thoroughly enjoyed Grant Gustin's performance, like Talia said, he fit perfectly well with his scrawny, nerdy and adorably awkward persona. (Although Talia recently sent me a performance he did on Glee, and it's becoming hard to erase that from my mind now). I think the pilot makes an effective attempt at making you feel for Barry - his mother's death, his father's wrongful imprisonment and his unrequited love for Iris. All of which will keep developing throughout the story, promising us very good plots! (Not to mention the possible villains, and even allies.)

         Every scene sequence where Barry showcases his super speed powers was exciting for me, from the slow motion scene at the coffee shop to S.T.A.R lab's little experiments! It was just fun to watch. And that Arrow appearance! I think every Arrow fan can admit it was awesome.

I give it an 8.5 as well!!
         
Geek Femmes Overall Score: 8.5

Check out next week promo for episode 2, "The Fastest Man Alive".




No comments:

Post a Comment